Saturday, May 14, 2011

ACCEPTED REFERRAL!

I didn't believe I would say that for a while.  We have accepted a referral for 2 kids.  There is Damian who will be 3 next month, and Natalia who will be 5 in September.  I haven't met them yet, but I'm already losing sleep!

I guess it was one of those quick offers, but it's perfect for us.  We received the referral after a quick call from Lina asking if we would be interested.  Of course, we said yes.  It only took us a day, quick trip to a pediatrician, and lots of prayer to feel it was a miracle.  Now we have bought our first plane tickets to Poland.  We meet our kids in less than 10 days I think!  I can't believe it's here.  They are absolutely adorable.


This is my son!
Here is my daughter!
So I have a list of questions to ask about background, parents, and current routines.  We're bringing 2 blankets, 2 stuffed animals, and photo books of the families.  Lina said they could keep these things with them to help remember us and feel closer.  Any more ideas?  We figured we'd wash the blankets and stuffed animals in our laundry detergent and spray our cologne to help smell memories.  I have even thought slinkies.  Call me crazy, but I read in "Parenting Internationally Adopted Children" that it can help the concept of away and back.  Just a reminder that we will come back for them.  What do you think?  I appreciate all input from those who have gone before us and those to yet go.  Thanks so much for your friendship and support.  I hope our experiences help lift the spirits of those waiting as those before us helped us.  

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! They are adorable and I bet you can't wait to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!!!Thats so wonderful to hear! Congratulations and have a wonderful trip to Poland to meet your children!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! This is so exciting!! My friends that adopted siblings from Russia actually slept with the blankets for several days before meeting their children, similar to what you are doing with the sense of smell :-)

    We were lucky to be one of the "one trip" families in early 2008, so we didn't have the very difficult task of meeting and then leaving our child. Congrats again on the quick referral and happy travels!! I look forward to following your amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news! I was just asking Lina if anything was going on over there, since no one seemed to be hearing anything!! This gives everyone waiting some hope. We are so happy for you! I can't wait to hear about your journey!

    I thought about getting one of those build-a-bears that let you record your own voice, that way, they could hear you whenever they pressed the paw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WAHOO! Congratulations!! I am SO excited for you. It's just amazing how fast it happens when it happens.
    ditto what kelly said about sleeping with the blankets. It's funny, but just a few days ago, Dominik picked up a shirt, smelled it, and said, "That's Daddy's!". Neither one of us wears cologne.
    Happy travels, I can't wait to hear more about those beautiful kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! You are on the journey of a life time! Your CHILDREN are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many congrats! What beautiful children. I am so excited for the journey you are about to take. It is crazy and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! What beautiful children! We left to meet our daughter on May 23 of last year, so it feels like this is "the" time of year. We took a photo book we made on Shutterfly, with pics of the whole family, and our daughter still loves it. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!! I'm SO thrilled for you!! And, you get to go see them so soon!! Wonderful! We left a photo book with our daughter, and they said they showed it to her a lot. We think it helped. If she didn't remember our first visit, then at least we looked familiar from the photos. On the first photo book that we left with her, we only included photos of us and the front of our house. It was most important that she knew mama & tata. Then, when we went back, we brought a new photo book with photos of other family members, her room, and photos of us with her from our first visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Congratulations! I am so happy for you. They are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful news! I remember the 10-day-freak-out-session all too well. You will be so happy when you see them, of course, and be relieved this first meeting is over (though it will be very hard to say goodbye). Sleeping with the blanket is a great idea. I also loved Ramie's (I think it was Ramie) idea of using skype to stay in touch while you are home and waiting to return.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations mom! Damian and Natalia are beautiful! Have a safe trip, take lots of pictures and enjoy every second!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations!! They are beautiful. I'm sure whatever you bring will be perfect. And you're traveling so soon! I can't wait to see pictures of you with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back and we'll talk about it.

    Thanks!

    Hailey William
    haileyxhailey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete